- 4 slices firm whole-wheat bread
- 4 large eggs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large plum tomato
- 4 Tbsp. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Coat 4 cups in muffin tin with 3-inch cavities with cooking spray, and set aside.
- Cut crusts off bread, making each slice square.
- Using rolling pin, flatten bread slightly. Press bread into muffin tin cavities with points sticking up.
- Break egg into small bowl, then slip into one bread “cup.” Repeat with remaining eggs.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut four thin slices from center of tomato, reserving rest for another use.
- Cover each egg with tomato slice and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon cheese.
- Set muffin tin in oven and fill empty cavities in tin halfway with water.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, or until eggs are set to your taste and bread tips are browned.
- Run thin knife around outside of each baked egg nest, then lift it with tongs, garnish with chives and serve on plate or in small bowl.
Makes 4 servings. Per Serving: 177 calories, 8.5 g total fat (3 g saturated fat), 14 g carbohydrate, 11 g protein, 2 g dietary fiber, 263 mg sodium.